[Techtalk] weird network behavior

Maria Mckinley maria at shadlen.org
Sun Dec 12 20:48:10 UTC 2010

On 12/12/10 8:07 AM, Mike wrote:
> On Saturday 11 December 2010 20:34:29 Maria Mckinley wrote:

>>> Is the time correct on mimi?
>>> What are the permissions on .ssh
>> I had hopes, but I'm afraid both the time and permissions are correct.
>>
>> :-( Thanks for all of the hints, everyone. Fortunately, this is only a
>>
>> problem with one machine, and not too critical. I'm sure I'll figure it
>> out one of these days...
>
> Can you try the ssh again with a  few more verbose switches
> ssh -vvv
>
> My other thought is to recreate the authorized_keys or authorized_keys2 file
> file.

Good idea. Maybe it will clue one of you in, because I haven't been able
to see where the failure is yet...

Here is the relevant output from ssh -vvv when it doesn't work:

debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password,hostbased
debug2: userauth_hostbased: chost mimi.shadlen.org.
debug2: ssh_keysign called
debug3: ssh_msg_send: type 2
debug1: permanently_drop_suid: 1021
debug3: ssh_msg_recv entering
debug2: we sent a hostbased packet, wait for reply
debug1: Remote: Accepted for mimi.shadlen.org [10.208.108.17] by
/etc/hosts.equiv.
debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password,hostbased
debug1: No more client hostkeys for hostbased authentication.
debug2: we did not send a packet, disable method
debug3: authmethod_lookup publickey
debug3: remaining preferred: keyboard-interactive,password

Here is the same relevant output from ssh -vvv in the case that it works:

debug1: Authentications that can continue: publickey,password,hostbased
debug2: userauth_hostbased: chost herbie.shadlen.org.
debug2: ssh_keysign called
debug1: permanently_drop_suid: 1021
debug3: ssh_msg_send: type 2
debug3: ssh_msg_recv entering
debug2: we sent a hostbased packet, wait for reply
debug1: Authentication succeeded (hostbased).
debug1: channel 0: new [client-session]
debug3: ssh_session2_open: channel_new: 0
debug2: channel 0: send open
debug1: Requesting no-more-sessions at openssh.com
debug1: Entering interactive session.
debug1: Remote: Accepted for herbie.shadlen.org [10.208.108.24] by
/etc/hosts.equiv.
debug1: Remote: Accepted for herbie.shadlen.org [10.208.108.24] by
/etc/hosts.equiv.
debug2: callback start

Regarding the authorized_keys files, I thought those were for key based
authorization, rather than hose based authorization.

cheers,
maria