[Techtalk] Updating Obsolete Ubuntu Repositories

Michael Fisher desnotes at gmail.com
Mon Aug 30 15:21:07 UTC 2010

Hi All,

I installed a specially configured LiveCD of Xubuntu, feisty fawn (7.04)
because it included applications for building a Wireless Sensor Network
using TinyOS. I am now trying to update & upgrade the packages and have run
into a bit of a problem. I found help that directed me to change the url of
some of the repositories from "us.*archive*.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty
universe" to "us.*old-releases*.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ feisty universe" and this
worked for about half of the update but the remaining URLs are formatted
like the following:

"security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu feisty-security universe"

What do I need to do in order to download the security fixes. Currently when
I attempt to run Update Manager, the list of security updates displays a
warning that they are not authenticated and when I attempt to apply changes
anyway, a 404 Not Found error displays for each upgrade package. I would
like to be able to upgrade to the most recent Xubuntu LTS without losing the
TinyOS applications/data.

TIA,

desnotes
Michael Fisher