[Techtalk] joomla or drupal

linux at kappaluppa.com linux at kappaluppa.com
Thu Aug 19 12:54:16 UTC 2010

  First off, let me state that I am a Drupal designer/themer/developer
so I usually recommend Drupal.  :)  However, for simple sites the
"biggness" of Drupal is not always warranted.

The questions I'd ask to help you determine which you should use are:
Who will be doing the updates?
Is/are the person/s who will be maintaining the websites tech savvy?
What do they want the site to do? Do they want just a "brochure site"  a
few pages, blog, how many bloggers, video, audio, calendar, photo
gallery, purchases, etc.?
Will the website be expanded in terms of functionality further on down
the road? If so, who will be making the changes - a developer?

If you just need a very simple site without a lot of functionality or
customization I'd recommend WordPress, then Joomla. If you want a site
that may expand to a larger site with complex or custom functionality
then I'd recommend Drupal. There is quite a bit of difference between
Joomla & Drupal. The two platforms that are more similar are WordPress &
Joomla. Drupal is built upon a very robust framework that allows for
more customization, functionality and growth.

Do you need an application to manage your non-profit group and
activities such as fundraising, mailing lists, events, etc. Then take a
look at CiviCRM:
"CiviCRM is a free <http://www.fsf.org/licensing/essays/free-sw.html>,
libre <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libre> and open source
<http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php> software constituent
relationship management solution. CiviCRM is web-based,
internationalized, and designed specifically to meet the needs of
advocacy, non-profit and non-governmental groups. Integration with both
Drupal <http://drupal.org> and Joomla! <http://joomla.com> content
management systems gives you the tools to connect, communicate and
activate your supporters and constituents."

Also, you can try out different CMS apps at http://php.opensourcecms.com/

Lastly, be cautious when using an online service such as WordPress.com
that lets you run your website on their server. Make sure that you have
the ability to download it and move it to your own server somewhere down
the line if you feel you will be taking more control of the site later
on. Drupal Gardens has thrown their hat in the ring with online managed
website building tools. Its customizable and can be downloaded an moved.
Also check out WebEnabled. http://www.webenabled.com/

A word about the one-click installs. Beware of those because they don't
always keep the core software up to date. Check to see what version the
CMS you are going to use is at (Drupal is now at 6.17) and then check to
see if the one-click install installs the most recent versions. Some
updates may be for security reasons and you will want to make sure you
have the most recent version.

I've worked with WP for about 8 years and Drupal for about 4 years now,
and have dabbled with Joomla - however I did use Mambo, Joomla's
predecessor. I'd rank them in this order in terms of ease of use and
functionality:
WordPress - easy, basic
Joomla - not so easy, more options
Drupal - steep learning curve, unlimited options

Good luck!
Kathy