[Techtalk] wireless home network without router

Alina Friedrichsen x-alina at gmx.net
Sun Aug 15 16:21:53 UTC 2010

Hi Miriam,

sorry, this was a misunderstanding. I thought you only want to setup a
simple home network without a router. An AP mode network on your main
computer is simplest way to do that. Mesh networks are the way to build
bigger networks. You can build a whole city wide network with it, like
"Freifunk" in Germany.

But there are many kinds of mesh networks with different routing protocols.
Routing protocols that work on the IP layer and routing protocols that work
on the MAC layer.

"OLSR", that we use in "Freifunk", is a example for a IP layer routing
protocol.

"B.A.T.M.A.N. Advanced" is one example for a MAC layer routing
protocol. The OLPC uses "IEEE 802.11s", this is such routing
protocol, too.

I hope I could help.

Cheers,
Alina