[Techtalk] DNS problem with wireles internet

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 08:26:17 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 10:15 AM, David Sumbler <david at aeolia.co.uk> wrote:
> That's solved it - thanks.  Permissions on /etc/resolv.conf were 700: I
> have changed this to 744, although 644 would seem to make more sense,
> and I notice that on my desktop computer I have 666.

Mine's set to 644, which seems to be the correct option (it should not
be executable, and there's no need for regular users to be able to
write to it).

> The file contains one entry (as does the same file on my desktop
> computer) referring to 192.168.0.1 .  I assume that this means that
> wireless routers must always be set up as 192.168.0.1 if they want
> occasional users to be able to log on easily.  Perhaps someone could
> confirm this for me.  My home router is set up that way because that's
> just the way I happened to do it, and it seemed a sensible choice.  I
> did not realize it was a necessary choice for wireless connections.

The file is updated by NetworkManager (NM). Basically, NM picks up the
address from DHCP and writes it in there, so it should always be up to
date according to what your local DHCP server (usually your home route
in this scenario) tells you. (when getting an IP through DHCP, the
router sends you your lease information for your IP, which includes
the nameserver information). You can always test it by chaning your
router's IP. :-)

As an aside, in situations where that information is not available
through DHCP either static addresses are used or an attempt is made to
use zeroconf services (through avahi on linux) to figure out the
correct IP for your DNS servers.

I hope all this clarifies some things.

regards,
Wim