[Techtalk] Ruby/Perl Tutorials

Kai MacTane kai at mactane.org
Wed Apr 14 06:02:38 UTC 2010

On 4/13/2010 11:48 AM, Bethany Seeger wrote:
> Do you know of any good ruby and/or perl tutorials?  I'm fluent in C,
> and know a bit of Java, C++... and some scripting. I've played with Ruby
> some, but am looking for a good tutorial on learning more.

If you already know C and Java, and are familiar with Unix, then the
best way I can think of to learn Perl would be to just get _Programming
Perl_ (aka "the Camel Book"). _Learning Perl_ (aka "the Llama Book") is
also not bad, but it's a gentler learning curve, more suited for
non-programmers. I suspect it might be too easy for you. Both books are
by O'Reilly.

For Ruby, some people like Why's Poignant Guide, but I found it too
whimsical. It seemed more concerned with being goofy and "artistic", to
the point that it got in the way of my actually learning the technical
details of the language. Instead, I prefer the Pragmatic Programmers'
book _Programming Ruby_ (aka "the Pickaxe Book"), which is more
programmer-ish.

--
Kai MacTane
LAMP, AJAX, and Ruby on Rails developer