[Techtalk] Community Website

Amaia amaia at amaiac.net
Fri Apr 9 07:22:55 UTC 2010

Raquel escribió:
> I'm looking for some PHP software for creating a community web site.  I
> did have a site built using MediaWiki.  It was restricted to
> username/password access for members of my high school graduating
> class.  The idea was to provide current information for each of us,
> reunion photos, those who've passed on, etc.
>
> It was a good idea, but very few used the site to add info about
> themselves.  They did, however, use it to find information about each
> other.  However, it was a lot of work for me to do all the formatting
> and maintenance.
>
> Any ideas on software that would run on a server, where we could keep
> roster type information, photos and notices, etc?

Hello

I'm re-learning Drupal[1] right now after a few years of not using it
and I'm liking it a lot. I think it would be a good fit for what you say.
The initial learning curve is a bit steep but there are good books and a
lot of documentation to learn [2].
I've recently read the book Using Drupal[3] by the Lullabot Team and I
think it's a really good one.
I would say have a look at it and see if it feels a good fit for you.
And tell us what you think afterwards please ;)

[1] http://drupal.org
[2] http://drupal.org/handbooks
[3] http://usingdrupal.com/

-Amaia