[Techtalk] Grub & Puppy

Little Girl littlergirl at gmail.com
Tue Sep 22 10:08:22 UTC 2009

Hey there,

On Tue, 22 Sep 2009 09:42:48 +0100 (BST)
ChrisWilson wrote:

> Hi Sara,
>
> On Mon, 21 Sep 2009, Sara LeWinter wrote:
>
> > I'm hearin the following from a friend of mine tryin to install a
> > home network:
> >
> > When the computer is turned on, a Dell laptop, the Grub display
> > comes up but that display is not interactive. The keyboard just
> > beeps. Only pulling the plug shuts the machine down as a result.
>
> I assume that this is the actual problem that you're trying to
> solve? Is it fair to rephrase it as "you can't boot Puppy because
> the keyboard doesn't work in Grub"?

<SNIP>

Good points, all of them. I'd like to add a couple more:

What other operating systems are on the machine, and in what order
were they put on the machine? If Windows is on the machine and was
put on after Linux, it can do a wonderful job of messing things up.

When using a Live CD, does GRUB function properly?

What happens if a regular keyboard is plugged into the laptop before
booting it?

--
Little Girl

There is no spoon.