[Techtalk] importing mail from Yahoo

Laura Fields laurajfields at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 18:21:35 UTC 2009

Hi Meryll,

I recently had the same problem.  As Christine pointed out, you have to pay
Yahoo to get POP access, but Gmail recently added a free import feature that
will go and retrieve your mail from yahoo.  Once it's in gmail you can use
Thunderbird or any other client to store it locally (or you can just use
Gmail).

 It worked great for me -- retrieved thousands of messages in within a few
hours with basically no effort from me.  Within Gmail, you just go to
settings (top right of page) and then choose "accounts and import" and
follow the instructions.

Laura