[Techtalk] probably a stupid scripting question

Miriam English mim at miriam-english.org
Sun Nov 8 08:22:06 UTC 2009

Adam Williamson wrote:
> AIUI - and, bear in mind, I could be utterly wrong - it's mainly for use
> in things like wrapper scripts. Say you want to write a script to do a
> bunch of preparation, then finally run Firefox. If you end it with 'exec
> firefox', then you don't have the wrapper script hanging around forever
> while Firefox is running; the wrapper script does its stuff, runs
> Firefox, and then all you have is a Firefox process.

Thanks Adam.
I wonder why don't people use "&" at the end of the command though?
It looks like the script process vanishes after running its course when
I use that technique (at least I can't find any sign of it when I look
with top or kp).

--
If you don't have any failures then you're not trying hard enough.
  - Dr. Charles Elachi, director of NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory