[Techtalk] Experiences with Nagios and/or Advanced Host Monitor?

Juliet Kemp juliet at earth.li
Sat Nov 7 16:38:18 UTC 2009

On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 07:59:00PM +0000, Tracey wrote:

> I had been reading up on Nagios. Another server admin here said he had
> issues with Nagios being buggy & had better experiences with Advanced
> Network Monitor. Do any of you have experience with any of these, good
> or bad? Are there other monitoring tools you prefer?

I've used Nagios in the past & liked it.  In fact, when I reviewed a
handful of monitoring solutions
(http://www.linuxpromagazine.com/Issues/2008/92/FREE-MONITOR) I liked
Nagios enough that I moved across to it from Hobbit, which I was using
before!

I wrote a tutorial about Nagios for Linux Format magazine, but it looks
like it's only available to subscribers.  Let me know if you're
interested & I can send you a copy privately of my text.  Alternatively,
(blatant plug ahoy!) there's some Nagios recipes in my Linux Systems
Administration book :)
(http://www.apress.com/book/view/9781430224495)

best wishes,
Juliet