[Techtalk] So What's So Great About Git?

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 10:56:09 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 4:57 AM, Kathryn Andersen
<kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org> wrote:
> I've used Subversion, and I've played with darcs, but I've become aware
> that many projects now seem to be favouring git.  So, you git-philes,
> tell me why?  Or, if you can, compare it with darcs, since darcs is also
> a distributed version control system (while Subversion, by contrast,
> uses a central repository).

I can't really talk about darcs, cause I've never used it. But here
are some advantages to svn that I like:
- works offline, I sometimes combine it with svn so I can have version
control when coding away on my laptop
- much better at merging lots of changes from different sources
- much better branching and merging (once you get the hang of it,
there's a lot less "oh no I somehow missed that change 2 merges ago")
- Technically solid but almost no handholding, which might make it
harder to use at times but somehow tickles me

> Part of the reason behind my question is that I want to start a project
> for an FVWM module, and I need to decide where to host it: at googlecode
> with svn, or at github with git.  I would be more comfortable with
> Subversion, as I use it at work; here is your opportunity to persuade me
> otherwise.

Well the cool thing about git is that you can git init on any old
project, read man gittutorial and decide from there if it's something
you'd like to be using. It did take some grokking in my case, but I
found it was worth it.

regards,
Wim