[Techtalk] Cheap cloud space

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Wed May 20 06:45:12 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 3:05 AM, Kelly Jones
<kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com> wrote:
> My webhosting service [surpasshosting.com, not a plug] gives me 200G
> of space for $6/month, which is 3c/gig/month. Unlike other webhosting
> services, they don't limit how I can use this space, so it's
> effectively "cloud" space.
>
> Can I buy cloud space for cheaper?

I believe amazon S3 is quite a bit more expensive. Selling points
there are higher availability (though I'm not sure about the details
of the SLA) and integration with EC2 (so you can use S3 as the backend
storage for your cloud apps). I think you can probably google for what
kind of performance you get out of these. It's pretty good, not grid
computing good but acceptable for business app stuff (latency 100ms
range? I've seen a presentation on it but don't quite remember).

For the others it's probably comparable in price but I'm not sure. I
hear in general pricing tends to scale really nicely up to a certain
point, after which it sort of starts costing you dearly. Another
nicety of a cloud storage service like amazon's is that you pay by the
gigabyte, so no paying for stuff you're not using.

regards,
Wim