[Techtalk] cups

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Wed May 13 06:58:28 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 3:06 AM, Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:
> [...]
> Can't you address this at a social level, by billing the user for their
> excess use, or posting information so it is apparent to *everyone* that
> the user is abusing the service?
>
> If you do that, generally speaking, people will suddenly regulate their
> own behaviour and do the right thing because the cost — either cash, or
> in social disapproval — is too high for the benefit they receive.

I agree that a social solution is probably best here (though you
always have the occasional user who really does keep getting confused
about what printer is the colour printer). A public shaming seems a
bit drastic though, a bit like going nuclear on an invading mosquito:
you're liable to miss the mark completely and end up with lots of
collateral damage. I'd advocate a more subtle approach first.

regards,
Wim