[Techtalk] Open source SOAP/REST servers

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Mon May 11 12:54:57 UTC 2009

Hi,

On Mon, May 11, 2009 at 1:50 AM, Kelly Jones
<kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to serve data by responding to SOAP/REST requests w/o the
> overhead of running Apache.
>
> Are there any open source SOAP/REST servers?
>
> IE, lightweight servers designed to handle SOAP/REST requests, not
> HTTP requests in general?

In principle these requests run over HTTP so any implementation that
doesn't require an underlying server will actually be a HTTP server in
itself (however limited). In the java world this generally means
you're running your code inside a web container such as tomcat/jetty.
You could call them lightweight depending on your definition of the
term. You'd need to create a web-app though, which might be a lot of
work if you're not familiar with how that all works. (emphasis on
pointy clicky UIs has made figuring out what all the files are and
where they go a bit of a nightmare in j2ee and assorted technologies).

I believe soapUI (which I sometimes use for testing) also allows you
to build quick and dirty SOAP servers from wsdl descriptions. Not sure
about it though, I've never tried to use it myself.

regards,
Wim