[Techtalk] Tiny URL services that work w/ POST data

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Sun May 3 04:17:02 UTC 2009

Kelly Jones <kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com> writes:

> There are many services like tinyurl.com that will shorten URLs, but
> none that I know of will accept post data to the shortened URL.
>
> Are there any such services?

Not that I am aware of, and I strongly suspect you will not:

The behaviour of web browsers in the face of a 3xx redirection of a POST
request is much more varied than with other requests, and some of them
will refuse the redirection entirely, will GET the next request rather
than post (and discard the body), or will display a warning.

Some, like Opera, will allow the end user to choose which behaviour they
want out of the system.

> IOW, services that will post "x=5&y=10" to a given URL and display the
> result?

That looks suspiciously like parameters to a "GET" request, not a
"POST"; there are far fewer technical obstacles to a GET than a POST
being redirected.

That said, I still don't know of any services that will append arbitrary
query parameters to a GET request when they forward it.

Um, so ... perhaps the question that should be asked is: Why do you want
to do this?  There might be a better way to solve your problem, and if
you only tell us what the original issue was we might be able to help
with that.

Regards,
        Daniel