[Techtalk] weirdness, not finding file that is there

Chris Wilson chris+linuxchix at aptivate.org
Thu Mar 5 23:29:15 UTC 2009

Hi all,

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009, Juliet Kemp wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 05, 2009 at 03:13:26PM -0800, Maria McKinley wrote:
>> billie:~/Linux# ls -l
>> total 92
>> -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 86196 2006-01-27 11:42 vxaTool
>> billie:~/Linux# ./vxaTool
>> -bash: ./vxaTool: No such file or directory
>
> Have you tried copying the file somewhere else (either/both of in that
> directory, and in another one)?  I'm wondering whether the filename's
> got somehow corrupted, or there's a problem with the directory.  Doesn't
> seem enormously likely, but at least it's easy to rule out!

It's also possible that vxaTool is a script that starts with a shebang
line (#!) that points to an interpreter that doesn't exist or isn't
accessible or executable (use "less" to check that); or that it's an
executable that refers to a library that doesn't exist (use "ldd" to check
that).

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 760887
The Humanitarian Centre, Fenner's, Gresham Road, Cambridge CB1 2ES

with company number 04980791.