[Techtalk] Program to determine IPs used in a network

Michael Fisher desnotes at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 03:33:33 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 11:16 PM, Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net>wrote:

> Michael Fisher <desnotes at gmail.com> writes:
> > On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net
> >wrote:

> It
> presentation
> of
> are

> determines
> that
>
> [...]
>
> > I should have been clearer when I said I wanted to determine the gateway.
> > The gateway I am looking for is the XBee wireless network gateway, not
> the
> > gateway of my network, which you are correct in pointing out both wired
> and
> > wireless.
>
> Oh. :)
>
> > What I am looking for is to be able to see all of the IP addresses
> currently
> > in use so I can make the determinatiion on which one is the XBee gateway
> > without logging into my router.
>
> Well, nmap is probably the tool you want here.  I think it is likely, in
> fact,
> that it can perform the same scan (for an appropriate open port)
> automatically, but it can also provide a "which hosts exist" scan.
>
> Alternately, I have used fping to determine which hosts exist on the
> network.
> Neither of those is infallible, but they are generally good.
>
> Do you know what the Windows software is actually looking for on the
> network?
> Just an ICMP response, or a specific port, or a magic packet, or?
>
> Regards,
>         Daniel

Thanks Daniel, I will try nmap in the morning and continue on with the steps
in bringing up the system. My guess is the windows program is looking for a
specific port but I don't know which one yet. My long term goal is to find
out exactly what the Windows program does since Digi advertises that their
system is supposed to be open source. So far only the one program is
proprietary so it may be just a matter of asking for the what it does and
then creating a Linux version.

I'll keep everyone posted of my progress.

regards,

Mike
--
Michael Fisher
desNotes at gmail.com
Sent from Odessa, Florida, United States