[Techtalk] Program to determine IPs used in a network

Michael Fisher desnotes at gmail.com
Sun Jun 21 02:59:06 UTC 2009

On Sat, Jun 20, 2009 at 10:46 PM, Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net>wrote:

> Michael Fisher <desnotes at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I am setting up an Digi XBee wireless network for home automation use. It
> is
> > a cool system with several sensors measuring temperature, humidity,
> light,
> > electricity, etc. and then logs the information for presentation (i.e.
> web,
> > database). The system, from the coordinator on down, uses Python so in
> > theory, it should be OS neutral. Currently the system instructions are
> all
> > written for Windows. I am going through all parts of the startup and
> looking
> > to find Linux versions of Window's tools that are in use.
> >
> > The first Digi tool that is Windows-centric is a program that determines
> the
> > IP address the gateway uses. What I am looking for is a package that
> > analyzes a network and lets me know the who, what and where in regards to
> IP
> > addresses on a local network. Anyone have any ideas?
>
> First, it isn't a safe assumption that there is *A* gateway, since you can
> have multiple default routes.  In fact, I presently do, one over wireless
> and
> one over wired, with different metrics.[1]
>
> Anyway, the easiest path is:
>
>    ip route list match 0.0.0.0
>
> Run that on any given machine and you are good to go: it tells you the
> default
> route currently established, along the lines of:
>
>    ] ip route list match 0.0.0.0
>    default via 172.16.23.1 dev eth0  proto static
>    # elided for simplicity on the standard one-default-route network
>
> Regards,
>        Daniel
>
> Footnotes:
> [1]  Only one is used at a given time, of course.

I should have been clearer when I said I wanted to determine the gateway.
The gateway I am looking for is the XBee wireless network gateway, not the
gateway of my network, which you are correct in pointing out both wired and
wireless.
What I am looking for is to be able to see all of the IP addresses currently
in use so I can make the determinatiion on which one is the XBee gateway
without logging into my router.

Thanks,

Mike

--
Michael Fisher
desNotes at gmail.com
Sent from Odessa, Florida, United States