[Techtalk] interpreted vs. compiled languages

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.homelinux.org
Wed Jun 10 22:43:08 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 10:48:30AM -0700, Akkana Peck wrote:
> Actually, one thing I've thought about is making some sort of
> interactive learning game that would teach shell use. Anybody
> use the old Palms, that had a game called "Giraffe" that was great
> for teaching you how to use Grafiti (their handwriting recognition
> system)?  Or the built-in tutorials in emacs or vim, where you're
> using the editor in order to go through the tutorial.  Something
> like that, some little game that would lead you along teaching you
> the important shell commands and how to navigate the filesystem.

Yes!  I had that idea too.  Something along the lines of Adventure
Shell, where one is presented with an interface as if one was playing
Adventure (where directories are rooms that one is exploring) with the
addition that one can use normal shell commands if one has demonstrated
that one has mastered the incantation (by reading the man page for it
first).  I never got around to implementing it, though.

> I've thought about proposing it as a group project on Actionchix,
> but never quite get around to writing up a proposal (and honestly,
> I'm not really sure how you'd start organizing something like that
> -- it's just the germ of an idea).
I'm not sure how it would be organized as a group project either.

Kathryn Andersen