[Techtalk] Corrupted Mouse Driver

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Mon Jun 8 18:13:03 UTC 2009

On Monday June 8 2009 10:21:16 am Michael Fisher wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 8, 2009 at 1:02 PM, Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:
> > On Monday June 8 2009 09:51:22 am Michael Fisher wrote:
> > > Hi Natalee,
> > > The bug you referred to certainly looks familiar and still could be the
> > > problem. I tried to run:
> > >
> > > sudo apt-get install hal
> > >
> > > but got the message back that 'hal is already the newest version.'
> >
> > Most times the best first diagnostic step is to boot a liveCD, preferably
> > one
> > that is a different distro that what is installed. Knoppix is a great
> > all-around troubleshooting liveCD. If the mouse/trackpoint works with the
> > liveCD then you know you have a software problem. If they don't, it
> > points to
> > hardware.

> I did boot to a LiveCD but used an Ubuntu 8.04, because I thought it might
> be easier to compare. With the LiveCD the mouse/trackpoint worked fine as
> did everything else. Would I gain any additional knowledge if I booted
> using Knoppix? I do have a version around and could do that.

Oh, sorry, and I even read that in your original post. well I think that's
good enough, since you already confirmed that it works with a liveCD.

 It's not like Ubuntu isn't known for weird bugs in fundamental functions.

Does this help?
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-input-evdev/+bug/292047

Carla

--