[Techtalk] Buying/leasing IP addresses

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Tue Jun 2 01:01:23 UTC 2009

Linda Pahdoco <lpahdoco at gmail.com> writes:
> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 9:30 PM, Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> wrote:
>
>> None of that is practical for a small service, and even a /22 is going
>> to be trouble when it comes to BGP announcements, because it is such a
>> long prefix.
>
> IIRC, advertising anything less than a /24 is against the "rules" and you
> can't BGP them at all.

You can advertise anything that your BGP peers will take[1], but yes, the
backbone of the Internet will *not* carry your route if it is too small.

So, no hard and fast rules, but certainly a lot of convention. :)

> I can't imagine a hosting provider giving you IP addresses outside their
> range, especially for just a shared hosting or even single dedicated server.
> Maybe if you had a whole rack and a long-term contract, but not for anything
> small.

*nod*  Absolutely correct.  Generally speaking, if you have to ask how to get
portable address space you are not going to qualify to get it — because, by
the time you are big enough to need it you already have several people with
the right skills on staff. ;)

Regards,
        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  Actually, you can advertise anything at all, but probably shouldn't.