[Techtalk] opinions wanted again! why would anyone code for free?

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Fri Jul 24 04:48:39 UTC 2009

Even though I can do "Hello world!" in 12 different languages I'm hardly
qualified to comment on developer issues, so I'm hoping some Chix have a bit
of time to answer this question:

How can a dev make a living writing Free software?

Or:

Why should anyone code for free? Especially when they're seasoned
professionals, and not noobs looking for experience?

Or:

What does a person get out of writing Free software?

I'm collecting answers from real-life real devs, and rolling it all into a
LinuxPlanet.com article. These seem to be the #1 questions from devs in the
proprietary software world who are thinking about exploring FOSS, and who can
blame them for worrying about how to feed their families? Or even their own
selves.

thanks much!
Carla

--