[Techtalk] initrd woes

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Wed Jan 28 07:22:26 UTC 2009

Maria McKinley wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have made significant progress! I can now start init. Turns out there
> are empty directories at the root level that need to be there that I
> hadn't copied to the nfsroot. Not sure if all of these were important,
> but adding emul, opt, selinux, and srv was what helped me. I'm not quite
> out of the woods yet, though. Still having nfs issues. I start up with
> the read only mounts that initrd made. This appears to be because
> rpc.statd is not running. And it appears that rpc.statd is not running
> because portmap is not running. But I don't know why portmap is failing.
> If I try to start it from the command line, it fails silently. It seems
> to be related to this bug, but this bug is suppose to be closed, and
> fixed in portmap 6.0-9. Of course, this is the version I am using...

> Not sure how to proceed. Does anyone have experience with bugs that are
> suppose to be closed, but seem not really to be? Not even sure how or
> where to post for that.
>
> thanks,
> maria

I downgraded to etch portmap 5-26, and now portmap starts, but statd
still won't start. Of course statd is needed to do a rw mount, but if I
try to start statd after I'm booted (the boot messages fly by too fast
for me to see them, and there are no logs, since we are still read-only)
then I get: /var/run/rpc.statd.pid failed: Read-only file system

Catch-22. How bloody annoying. AARGH!!!! So damn close. I have a command
line and everything!

~maria