[Techtalk] ide problem?

Maria Pinjanainen maria at tietonoita.fi
Wed Feb 4 14:19:12 UTC 2009

On Wed, 2009-02-04 at 00:00 +0100, Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> Hi Maria,
>
> On Tue, 2009-02-03 at 20:33 -0200, Ricardo Dalceno wrote:
> > Hi Maria,
> >
> > The kernel mesg. { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error } means that
> > you have a physical error on your disk and it is unrecoverable.
>
> In addition to this, many of this type of error on IDE will cause issues
> that the hardware does not handle well. I've often seen this class of
> problem hang the IDE bus. which in turn may well lead to kernel
> oopses..
>
> On of the things i am unhappy with, is that this problem persists on
> SATA, where a failing disk can "hang" or block the SATA controller,
> resulting in 4 drives being inaccessible at the same time ;(
>
> > So...
> > First of all, backup your data.
> > Then replace your hda disk. It's already crashed and will kill all your data
> > (soon or later)
> > Trash this disk.
>
> Very valid suggestions
>

> > Good luck ;-)
> >
> > Ricardo 'j0k3r' Dalceno
>
> Another additional: the fact that the disk is complaining this way,
> means that it is out of spare sectors. Modern disks have a number of
> spare sectors, which they use to re-map faulty sectors. This error
> implicitly means all spare sectors have been used.

Thank you all.
I really get ready to put there new disk as soon I get it. Currently I
sync the drive into other computer.

It was new information me how a failing ide data disk can block the
whole system. I thought the whole computer was dying soon and I was
ready to put that machine into the trash.

-m-