[Techtalk] Writing to CD-RW

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Fri Dec 18 19:56:08 UTC 2009

Hi, Kathryn,

On Thu, 17 Dec 2009 15:47:32 -0600
"Kathryn Hogg" <kjh at flyballdogs.com> wrote:

> Isn't what you are looking for is a CD burner that can keep the
> session open?
>
> If that's the case, in k3b you can do the following:
>
> 1. Create a new CD Data Project.  In the properties Misc Tab, set the
> multisession mode start multisession
>
> 2. when you want to append files, you can continue the previous
> multisession

Well, you hit the nail on the head perhaps, Kathryn. I was not
using CD-RW not for the RW feature, but rather for the abilities of
packet writing and UDF that EasyCD Creator software provided for.

So I am going to follow your suggestion. One question. Can I read the
files already written  on an open session? (I'll soon find out, but for
the record of others reading this in the future)

I also note that the wikipedia page of 'cd' says

"Universal Disk Format (UDF) can be extended with Mount Rainier making
it possible to use the disc like a floppy disk. This allows to easily
delete, create, and modify files, without having to write the whole
disc again." So along with the hints given in Little Girl's ubuntuforum
link this might provide a path to a drag and drop solution.

Thanks for all the ideas, I now have a direction to go in.

bestest
Anne