[Techtalk] Router issue

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Thu Dec 3 17:47:49 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-12-03 at 08:49 -0500, Adelene Dawner wrote:
> Hi all. I've been lurking for a while; this is my first post to the group.
>
> I have a router/modem that I use for two PCs, wired, and one laptop,
> wifi. I never set up security for the wifi - I piggybacked off of a
> neighbor's unsecured wifi for a few months when I first moved here,
> and I figured it was just neighborly to pay it forward.
>
> That decision bit me in the butt earlier this week when someone else
> apparently decided to set up security for me, on my wifi.

The others have given you great replies, but it's worth noting for the
record that the decision that 'bit you in the butt' was not to set up
security for the _wireless connection_, but not securing access to the
router configuration interface itself. The two are separate - you can
allow others to use the connection provided through your router without
allowing them to reconfigure it, and you can enable wireless security
while still letting anyone who can actually connect to the router access
the admin interface (though obviously that's not normally a good idea).

--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey