[Techtalk] secret processes?

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed Aug 12 01:17:15 UTC 2009

Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> writes:
> On Tuesday 11 August 2009 04:23:29 pm Karen Liesenfeld wrote:
>> Carla Schroder wrote:
>> >
>> > I have a 30-second music clip that I use for notifications on Pidgin.
>> > When I am testing my sound notifications, the whole file has to play and
>> > there is no way to stop playback. I can't even find a process to kill,
>> > which is scarier than not being able to shut off music playback. Any
>> > ideas how to hunt this down and see what's going on?

[...]

> I'm not using Ubuntu, this is a Debian machine running KDE 3.5. I have
> volume controls, that's not the problem.The problem is I can't stop the
> playback of the music file, and it disturbs me to not see a process for
> it. It is un-Linux to not be able to track this sort of thing down!

The simplest way to play audio on Unix was:

    file = fopen('/dev/dsp', 'w');
    fwrite(file, audio_data_buffer);
    fclose(file);

In that case the process playing the sound *was* the same process as was doing
everything else.  Are you sure that pidgin itself isn't playing the sound, via
alsa or OSS, internally?

Regards,
        Daniel
   Looking for work?  Love Perl?  In Melbourne, Australia?  We are hiring.