[Techtalk] my home directory grew

Chris Wilson chris+linuxchix at aptivate.org
Mon Apr 27 22:29:05 UTC 2009

Hi Maria,

On Mon, 27 Apr 2009, Maria McKinley wrote:

> I found my missing 386G. I wrote a script to check the size all of the
> directories in the new home and the old home. They were all the same
> size except one, the lost+found on the new drive is 386G, but lost+found
> on the old drive is nearly empty. Should I run fsck? Will that clear out
> the directory? No one has been complaining about corrupt files, so not
> sure what is going on. My own home directory looks to be nearly
> duplicated in lost+found, but checking random original files in my home
> directory that are listed there doesn't show any problems.

fsck will not clear out lost+found, you have to do that yourself if you
decide that the files in there are not useful to you. They were created by
fsck when it detected major filesystem corruption (files not in any
directory) on that filesystem at some point(s) in the past.

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 760887
The Humanitarian Centre, Fenner's, Gresham Road, Cambridge CB1 2ES

with company number 04980791.