[Techtalk] Linux Web Cam

Andrea Schweer andrea at andaka.org
Thu Apr 23 02:40:26 UTC 2009

Hi Michael,

<quote who="Michael Fisher">
> Can anyone recommend an USB, network or wireless web cam that works with
> Linux? I am looking to do some experiments with home automation and just
> some fun stuff with web cams but only with Linux.

I have a Logitech Quickcam that's a few years old by now. It works ok but
the image quality isn't very great. One thing to be careful with is that
with webcams, the same model might use different chips in different
batches -- back when I bought my webcam, some Quickcams worked with Linux
and some didn't. I think it's gotten better since then but you might want
to buy yours from a shop with a friendly return policy just in case.

http://www.qbik.ch/usb/devices/showdevcat.php?id=9 has a huge list of usb
devices with comments how well they work with Linux. Your distro might
have a dedicated list too.

cheers,
Andrea