[Techtalk] Prodigal daughter and dual boot woes

jim jim at well.com
Sat Apr 18 01:12:47 UTC 2009

   you might consider starting from scratch (read "raw
disks, no stuff on them, all erased clean).
   if so, then boot up a live CD and partition your hard
drives: two partitions for the Microsoft OS, three
partitions for the linux OS, and you'll find it'll be
nice to have at least two extra partitions in addition.
   the trick will be to put the correct filesystems on
each of the partitions. i bet it'll be smart to put the
linux filesystems on all partitions that are not for the
microsoft OS--that may protect them from the automatic
we-own-everything policy that guides the microsoft OS
installation program.
   put the microsoft OS on one partition. put the linux
OS on at least two other partitions (you have to have
a swap partition in addition to a partition for your
files). current wisdom is put msft on first, then put
on linux because the linux installer is polite and
doesn't think it owns everything. it should "just work".

   as to RAID, i'm still not clear if you're using
hardware or software RAID. which?
   in either case, yes: if you screw up a file, your
screw-up will exist on all RAID copies, but that's not
the point to RAID. RAID is good because if a hard drive
dies, the other one is still there for you, you haven't
lost your data.
   a backup scheme that is smart and frequent can help
you defend against file corruption (where all RAID copies
of a file are screwed up). you retrieve the backups and
can recover at least some of the goodies that the current
copies are missing).
hth
jim