[Techtalk] Prodigal daughter and dual boot woes

Chris Wilson chris+linuxchix at aptivate.org
Fri Apr 17 10:35:41 UTC 2009

Hi Conor,

On Fri, 17 Apr 2009, Conor Daly wrote:

> > something (I'm totally alone here) - is disable RAID.  I know, duh,
> > right?
>
> I suspect that disabling RAID is going to require a reinstall of Vista.
> Unless the hardware raid is a genuine RAID 1 implementation where each
> disk is useable without a raid driver at all.  You might try popping one
> of the disks into a non-raid machine and see can it be read.

Careful if you do this. You will desync the array, and if the array
doesn't realise that this has happened, it will hopelessly corrupt it.

Best bet is to remove one disk from the array, boot the machine with just
one disk in it, then put the other disk into another machine and try to
boot it there, then put it back into the main machine and add it back into
the array.

> For versioned mirroring you could look at rsync-diff (IIRC) which does
> snapshots using minimal extra space for each version.

Do you mean rdiff-backup? http://rdiff-backup.nongnu.org/

Cheers, Chris.
--
Aptivate | http://www.aptivate.org | Phone: +44 1223 760887
The Humanitarian Centre, Fenner's, Gresham Road, Cambridge CB1 2ES

with company number 04980791.