[Techtalk] mysterious pops driving me nuts

Elwing elwing at elwing.org
Tue Apr 14 18:43:17 UTC 2009

On Apr 14, 2009, at 2:40 PM, Carla Schroder wrote:

> I have two computers, two LCD monitors, one printer, two APC
> backups, one
> router, one DSL modem, one switch. It seems to come from the
> vicinity of the
> second computer, so that narrows it down to one computer and one APC
> unit.
> Maybe.
>
> All right, this is your big chance-- trot out your wackiest theories
> and ideas
> for tracking this down, because it could be something totally daft!

I've heard APCs go "pop" when the battery decides to explode/implode.
Check the casing to make sure the battery hasn't gone.

Also, check for any heat/cold problems.  It could be that the various
plastic/metal parts are getting stressed.  The final suggestion is
that something's getting into a fan somewhere.

Elwing