[Techtalk] An interesting little problem

R. Daneel Olivaw linuxchix at r-daneel.com
Tue Apr 7 22:03:48 UTC 2009

Hi there,

Le mardi 07 avril 2009 à 22:11 +0100, Patricia Fraser a écrit :
> Hi All,
>
> A weird problem has just arisen in this install of Claws-mail, v.
> 3.7.1, running on Mandriva 2009 - it's only arisen in the last couple
> of days, and I hope someone has some clues for me!
>
> The w key is not producing any input when composing messages (I have
> to go back, put caps lock on, and press shift-W to get the letter -
> shifted-W works fine, it's just the lower case that's gone missing).
> It's only happening in Claws; it's fine in a terminal, in Kate the
> editor, in Joe, in OpenOffice... just Claws. And it's only the W.
>
> Claws is a GTK+ program, and I'm running KDE4(.1something); could it
> be something in my GTK setup that's causing this? I'm at a loss,
> because I've been using Claws in a KDE environment since early KDE3,
> and had no problems...
>
> Waaah!

first clue : have you tried voodoo ?

on a rational note : might it be that somehow (even if I haven't been
using sylpheed (became sylpheed-claws, then claws-mail) in a long time)
you have triggered a shortcut association for that key, a shortcut that
seems to have no effect, but intercepting the key ?

any other idea involves social behaviour problems among your keyboard
keys, maybe 'w' is on strike, or other keys are putting pressure on it
so it won't talk ... local mafia maybe, is the keyboardhood safe ?

Maybe your keyboard has a political identity and suffers from USA
president switch trauma.

anyhow, let us know ;)

R. Daneel Olivaw,
The Human Robot Inside.