[Techtalk] Installing XP without affectin Linux

David Sumbler david at aeolia.co.uk
Sat Apr 4 00:27:05 UTC 2009

On 4 Apr 2009, at 12:48 AM, David Sumbler <david at aeolia.co.uk> wrote:

> Help!
>
> I got WinXP installed OK, booted from a Knoppix CD, then chroot-ed to
> my Ubuntu root partition.
>
> But when I run 'grub-install hd0' I get an error: "/dev/sda7: Not
> found or not a block device."
>
> After some experimenting, I found that the problem is that when I use
> chroot the /dev/hda partitions can no longer be seen.
>
> How can I get round this problem?
>
> Incidentally, under Ubuntu the drive appears as /dev/sda, although in
> grub's menu.lst it is hd0, as expected.

Further to the above, I think I got around the problem by doing
'mknod /dev/hda7 b 3 7'.

I then had a problem with /dev/null, but I seem to have got round that
with 'rm /dev/null' which then allows grub to recreate it.

I say "think" and "seem" because I'm not sure if it has really worked
yet.  That is because I am now getting an error message: "The file /
boot/grub/stage1 not read correctly."  That has me really stumped!

Any ideas?  I really want my Ubuntu back!

David