[Techtalk] booting a diskless client

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Tue Sep 30 18:39:16 UTC 2008

Maria McKinley wrote:
> Miriam English wrote:
>> Hi Maria,
>>
>> I don't know much about this, so not sure if this is any help, but when
>> I first started using Puppy Linux from CD I was curious about how it
>> booted. It was quite confusing to me because it made a boot drive in
>> RAM, copying from the CD to it, and booting from RAM, so my attempts to
>> find it on the hard drive were not turning up anything sensible. I was
>> looking in the wrong place. I have a feeling that at some point CD-based
>> Puppy swaps its idea of / from the CD to RAM. Perhaps network booting
>> does something similar?
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> 	- Miriam
>
> I think you are probably correct. Looking at network traffic, the root
> directory appears to mount fine, but then it seems to try to remount,
> and this part is unsuccessful. Unfortunately, I don't know why this is,
>   or what to do about it. :-(
>
> cheers,
> maria

Found an error message, NFS3ERR_NOENT
     No such file or directory. The file or directory name specified
does not exist.

How can it exist the first time, but not the second? I guess the nfs
command has changed, but can't quite figure that out. Both times it
should be getting the root-path from the dhcp server.

Argh!

~maria