[Techtalk] usb on wireless

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Fri Sep 19 01:27:00 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I am trying to come up with a way to have external hardrives available
on my wireless. I have a usb hard drive, and I was trying to figure out
how to get it on the network. My first idea was to find some sort of usb
hub that had an ethernet port. I thought maybe I could hook it up to an
ethernet port on my wireless router. Couldn't really find anything that
fit the bill, though. So, my next thought was to replace my rented cable
router with a router that had a usb, which do seem to exist. I was
wondering if anyone has experience doing something like this. I almost
get the feeling from the descriptions that you can hook up your computer
(or in this case wireless router) to either the ethernet or the usb,
rather than have something on both. Not sure how it would deal with the
ip for the usb drive either. Thoughts, anyone? My last idea was to buy a
different hard drive, one with an ethernet connection, which do seem to
exist.

cheers,
maria