[Techtalk] ssh and name resolution

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Tue Sep 9 07:59:23 UTC 2008

Gayathri Swaminathan wrote:

>> Hey Maria:
>>
>> Seems to work for me ( see output below )
>>
>> Is your reverse DNS well?
>>
>> <snip>

It is definitely a problem with this particular machine. Other machines
work just fine sshing to this and other hosts. This machine cannot ssh
to any other machine, although they all resolve just fine using dig,
host, ping, etc. I think it has to be an ssh problem, but the ssh
configs are the same as on my other machines. I am going to check to see
if ssh is a different version from my other machines. But now the
machine seems to be down entirely, so that will have to wait until I go
into work tomorrow.

thanks,
maria