[Techtalk] IP tables

Wolf Rising wolfrising at gmail.com
Wed Oct 29 04:12:12 UTC 2008

Hi,

There were no errors received when restarting the service.

 Running nmap -sV localhost returns:

PORT     STATE SERVICE VERSION
22/tcp   open  ssh     OpenSSH 4.3 (protocol 2.0)
25/tcp   open  smtp    Postfix smtpd
111/tcp  open  rpc
631/tcp  open  ipp     CUPS 1.2
705/tcp  open  rpc
2049/tcp open  rpc
3306/tcp open  mysql   MySQL 5.0.45
4000/tcp open  rpc
4002/tcp open  rpc

attempting to connect via telnet returns:

telnet localhost 5286
Trying 127.0.0.1...
telnet: connect to address 127.0.0.1: Connection refused

It seems while the entry is in iptables, the port is not recognized as being
open.

I have not tried running traceroute.

Thanks!