[Techtalk] kernel panic

Maria McKinley maria at shadlen.org
Thu Oct 23 16:24:47 UTC 2008

Hello there,

I had a mail server have a kernel panic this morning, and I am trying to
find out what happened, but it seems totally mysterious. The last entry
in the log is a standard postfix disconnect. All systems seemed fine
right before the panic:

http://www.shadlen.org/munin/Servers/ella.shadlen.org.html

None of the partitions or drives are remotely close to being full. There
may have been a network outage around the time of the panic, but this
should not have caused a kernel panic. This machines runs a mail server,
web server, and bind9. It booted back up just fine, and seems to be
working happily now.

Is there something I should be logging that I am not, or something else
that may give me a clue as to why this happened?

thanks,
maria