[Techtalk] Binary or source distribution?

Sarah Newman newmans at sonic.net
Wed Oct 22 02:17:58 UTC 2008

Good question.  I'm a little confused myself.

Generally file formats like deb and rpm are referred to as packages, not
distributions.  To me distribution means an entire linux ecosystem like
debian or fedora.  But distribution could refer to the generic
'something that gets distributed.'

Package refers to some format which not only includes files but
information like the email address of the maintainer and package
dependencies - what the package contents need in order to run.

To be package / archive agnostic I usually refer to 'binaries' and 'source.'

Binaries are precompiled, but they don't have to be in an rpm or deb.
There are other package formats, and you could have them in a tar.gz too.

Source could be stored in a tar.gz but it could be something else too.
Whether source has to be compiled depends on what kind of source it is.
  C/C++ has to be compiled for the computer to run it.  Scripting
languages like perl or python don't because an interpreter translates
the source on the fly.  The source doesn't have to come directly from
the developer.

As an example, you can download source for many if not all debian
packages using 'apt-get source' if you have 'deb-src' repository entries
in the apt config file 'sources.list' .

I guess someone might refer to linux distributions like gentoo, where
you usually compile packages from source, as a source distribution and
linux distributions where you usually download binary packages (like
debian or fedora) as a binary distribution, but I've never heard that.

You can probably figure out which someone means by the context.

--Sarah