[Techtalk] Starting mysql server

Hugo Chasqueira hchasqueira at netcabo.pt
Tue Oct 21 20:42:45 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 21 October 2008 21:00:04 Anne Wainwright wrote:
> Hi,
>
> :)
>
> I have resolved the issue, at least I have got mysqld to run
>
> Permissions on /var/run/mysqld were at 775 which should have been fine
> This is where the .pid and .sock files get written to
> Changing permissions to 777 solved the issue
>
> But raise others. however just happy to have it run for now.

Hi.

Usually mysqld doesn't run as root. On Mandriva, it runs as 'mysql'. This
user must be able to write to mysqld directories. The directory permissions
are:

# ls -ld /var/run/mysqld
drwxr-xr-x 2 mysql mysql 152 Sep  5 20:16 /var/run/mysqld/

and

# ls -ld /var/lib/mysql
drwx--x--x 11 mysql mysql 488 Oct 21 02:52 /var/lib/mysql/

You might want to check /etc/my.cnf for the correct directories and mysqld
user. The relevant section is:

[mysqld]
user            = mysql
datadir         = /var/lib/mysql
port            = 3306
socket          = /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
pid-file        = /var/run/mysqld/mysqld.pid

--

Hugo Chasqueira

Public Key:
http://www.fcee.ucp.pt/docentes/url/hbc/pubkey.txt