[Techtalk] Starting mysql server

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Tue Oct 21 18:50:40 UTC 2008

Wim, thanks.

in short that worked fine, and nothing is using that port (as I thought)
I have done lots of searching on the net
same problem lots of answers,
seems to be a permissions issue
but have not yet resolved it despite following up on all promising suggestions

bestest
Anne

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 08:57:30 +0200
Wim wrote:

|> Hi,
|>
|> On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 9:15 PM, Anne Wainwright
|> <anotheranne at fables.co.za> wrote:
|> > what is using the default port 3306?
|> > firewall? I wasn't aware that i had one
|> > how do I determine what is using the port?
|>
|> I'm not sure about everything else but the easiest way to find out is
|> to use as root:
|> netstat -lntp
|> Or with sudo of course. The switches are list ports that are opened
|> for listening (l), without resolving hostnames (n), for protocol tcp
|> (t), and list the program that has it open as well (p). There's
|> probably a switch to select the particular port, the manpage will have
|> more.
|>
|> Oh and a firewall won't "use" the port in the classical sense. It's a
|> bit of an oversimplification but one could say the firewall works
|> before a packet even hits the port. An application could still bind
|> tot that port, it just wouldn't see any packets.
|>
|> greets,
|> Wim

so much to do, so little time :(