[Techtalk] Starting mysql server

Wim De Smet kromagg at gmail.com
Tue Oct 21 06:57:30 UTC 2008

Hi,

On Sun, Oct 19, 2008 at 9:15 PM, Anne Wainwright
<anotheranne at fables.co.za> wrote:
> what is using the default port 3306?
> firewall? I wasn't aware that i had one
> how do I determine what is using the port?

I'm not sure about everything else but the easiest way to find out is
to use as root:
netstat -lntp
Or with sudo of course. The switches are list ports that are opened
for listening (l), without resolving hostnames (n), for protocol tcp
(t), and list the program that has it open as well (p). There's
probably a switch to select the particular port, the manpage will have
more.

Oh and a firewall won't "use" the port in the classical sense. It's a
bit of an oversimplification but one could say the firewall works
before a packet even hits the port. An application could still bind
tot that port, it just wouldn't see any packets.

greets,
Wim