[Techtalk] debian upgrade

Anne Wainwright anotheranne at fables.co.za
Sun Oct 19 17:48:12 UTC 2008

Hi, Raquel,

It WAS a big download!. The startup dmesg output is most unfamiliar, the mouse now has a circular inbuilt eggtimer when we are waiting on something so things have changed.  See below

On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 08:30:48 -0700
Raquel wrote:

|> On Sun, 19 Oct 2008 12:59:48 +0200
|> Anne Wainwright <anotheranne at fables.co.za> wrote:
|>
|> > Hi,
|> >
|> > I just upgraded my distro. 6 hour download!, via the Synaptic gui
|> > using the smart update option. If I am right I should now have a
|> > fully updated version of Etch? How can I definitively check that
|> > that is so?
|> >
|> > have a nice Sunday, here in ZA the sun is shining, a nice warm day
|> > and I am just going to sit out and chill under a tree with my
|> > pre-lunch sherry  :)
|> >
|> > thanks
|> > Anne
|> >

|> I use aptitude to update/upgrade my 5 computers so I'm not familiar
|> with Synaptic.  However, I started up Synaptic and found where you
|> can locate all "upgradeable" packages in "Settings -> Filters ->
|> Upgradeable (upstream)".  I'm not certain that will work though.

The filtering arrangement is to narrow down the package display according to its settings. To do an upgrade is even easier. Just click the button 'Mark All Upgrades' and then 'Apply'

However, I now find that I do not have an Etch system, but a fully updated Sarge system, which is shown by the sources in /etc/apt/sources.list. This shows in Aptitude, but unless you maximise the sources window you don't see the 'distro' column.

Dare I change 'sarge' to 'woody' or will I foul up the whole thing by doing that? For sure it won't update the kernel. B i g question.

|> With aptitude all I do at the command line (as root) is:
|> # aptitude update
|> # aptitude upgrade

My original distro was Libranet, and aptitude was marked 'for experts only' and for once in my life I decided that discretion was the better part of valour! i always stick with Synaptic for its GUI

Thanks for Sunday listening, Raquel.
Anne

--
so much to do, so little time :(