[Techtalk] partitioning - pro, con

Gina Feichtinger geekgrrl at geekgrrl.priv.at
Tue Oct 14 07:22:41 UTC 2008

Hiya,

On 13.10.2008 18:13 Uhr, Mani A wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2008 at 6:21 AM, Miriam English <mim at miriam-english.org> wrote:
>> Hi everybody,
>>
>> I just bought a 1 Terabyte hard drive [squeals of delight]
>>
>> Normally I partition my drives to keep different kinds of data apart and
>> so that I can have small bootable partitions that can't interfere with
>> large data partitions. But I intend this drive to hold just data. Data
>> directories can easily change size dynamically, whereas partitions for
>> different types of data don't change size.
>>
>> Anybody know of good arguments why I *should* or *should not* partition
>> the drive into a bunch of smaller areas?
>
> It depends on the type of file system being used too. Performance of a
> FS like ext3 does not scale as well as JFS. The best is to have many
> partitions using different FS and from 18GB to 90GB with 3 primaries.
> You can always use LVM.

What's your personal experience on ext3 vs. JFS? I'm curious since I'm the
sysadmin for roughly 40 Linux servers and I have file systems ranging from
1GB to 700GB (internal hard disks as well as SAN storage). They're all ext3
mainly because a) IIRC JFS is not available with a stock RHEL AS 3/4
install and b) if the journal breaks you can still use/mount the file
system as ext2 if I'm not mistaken. So unless I see a -significant-
advantage of JFS over ext3 I don't think I'll be switching...

Cheers,

Gina
--
Gina Feichtinger                :: LinuxChix member
System-/SAN-Administrator & DBA :: http://www.linuxchix.org/