[Techtalk] newsyslog naming scheme could be improved?

Kelly Jones kelly.terry.jones at gmail.com
Sat Oct 11 16:33:42 UTC 2008

newsyslog rotates logfiles so that messages.0.gz is yesterday's file,
messages.1.gz is the day before's, etc.

This is ugly. If I tell my fellow sysadmins that I ran this command:

zfgrep 'bad thing' /var/log/messages.4.gz

and found stuff, they may run it the next day and get different
results because the file is now messages.5.gz

Improving my cow-orkers intelligence would be the ideal solution, but
has anyone considered tweaking newsyslog to name files
messages.2008-10-05-12-00-00.gz or something. IE, give them a constant
name that doesn't change and then delete them after how many ever
days?