[Techtalk] Servers 101

Billie Walsh bilwalsh at swbell.net
Sat Oct 11 13:54:02 UTC 2008

Rudy Zijlstra wrote:
> Billie Walsh wrote:
>> My better half just turned to me and asked if I thought we had a
>> computer suitable for running as a server on our home network. With
>> all the stuff we have around here I'm pretty sure we do but we know
>> absolutely nothing about servers. It would have to be able to work on
>> a mixed network [ Linux and Windows ].
>>
>> Can someone point me to someplace that has "Servers For Dummies 101"?
>>
>> I don't know if we will actually get something going but a little
>> learning is never a bad thing.
>>

> Suggestion: any linux admin book? Perhaps Carla's cookbook? One
> problem is there are so many different servers.. What are you thinking
> of doing? That might result in some more directed suggestions.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Rudy

Well, we have loads of old computers around here. Pretty much anything
from  my old TI99-4A and CoCo II up to our main Intel dual core
desktops. I'm kind of thinking maybe something in the 1GHz range with
possibly four hard drives, or fewer larger ones depending on what we
have and can get [ fixed income ].  I have a PCI SCSI card down here in
my drawer with it's cables so that's another possibility.

Probably use it for file storage/sharing [ be a good place to keep extra
stuff for our EeePC's that we don't need to keep on the machine but want
to have available ], in house mail [ don't know about that one cause we
can actually talk to one another but might make a nice message system ].
I bought a nice USB Sony turntable to record my old LP's and burn onto
CD's so it might be a good place to keep music that could be listened to
on any PC in the house. At one time I had thought about setting up one
to host my own webpages on but out in the boonies where we live we can't
get a suitable connection.

I had never seriously looked into a server but my better half asked if
it could be done and I said it was possible. That's about as far as the
thought process has gone so far.

--
Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.