[Techtalk] Running servers too hot?

Carla Schroder carla at bratgrrl.com
Wed Oct 8 04:33:54 UTC 2008

On Tuesday 07 October 2008 20:32:33 Kelly Jones wrote:
> I think we're running our servers too hot, but no one else believes
> me, so I need some sort of evidence/proof.
>
> They hang frequently, but my cow-orkers blame demons and ghosts.

And they prefer this theory to reality? Lucky you....

Have you already checked to see if your 1Us have any kind of temperature
monitoring built-in? The least helpful kind is in the BIOS, like what a great
idea to have to reboot to check temperatures. But at least that will tell you
if the systems have temperature-monitoring sensors built-in. Which they
should, so then it's just a question of software, which Maria already
discussed.

A kludgy way is to get a digital thermometer with an external sensor, like
this:
http://www.directindustry.com/prod/b-b-thermo-technik/digital-thermometer-19452-273174.html

Then you can put the sensor inside the case and the readout outside. It works
pretty well, I've used them a few times. These are about $20 at any home
store.

Carla

--
Carla Schroder