[Techtalk] routing question

Sarah Newman newmans at sonic.net
Mon Oct 6 15:26:10 UTC 2008

I'm a routing luddite, but my guess would be that the routing table on
either the laptop or the router is not complete.  Beyond that I'm just
throwing out ideas.

Does the laptop's wired and wireless interfaces have to be on different
class C networks, or is it OK to have both the interfaces be on the same
class C?  I'm wondering that because I don't know if with wireless the
router would decide to send packets with 192.168.2.x over the wireless
indiscriminately, even if it didn't know of a computer with that
address.  Probably not given it is a router and router's aren't supposed
to do that.

I can enable logging for my router; maybe that could help you figure out
who/why is dropping packets from the PC and/or unable to send out
packets to the PC?  Is it possible to look at the routing table for the
router and manually add new routes?

I don't know the tools for trying this on Linux off the top of my head,
sadly.